Thursday, August 14, 2008

Inertia

The sci-tech encyclopedia defines inertia as the property of matter which manifests itself as a resistance to any change in the motion of a body. Word.

I think I've hit that point where the forces that propel me down the road have balanced with those pulling us back home leaving me in a sort of state of paralysis. I feel the urge to go, but don't want to move at the same time. But this all varies with whatever environment is current, of course. If we're sleeping on the side of a road and haven't been clean in three days, my urge to move is quite strong. On the other hand, since we've been living with our friends, Steve and Nancy, in their beautifully comfortable home overlooking Penobscot Bay, we're a little more disinclined to budge.

Our trip of a few months is nearing its completion as we head a little further Down East to visit one of my trail buddies, Skywalker, and then on back to Vermont to Amy and Pete's place. After that, it's back to Michigan for us and I think we'll be ready. But for the past few days, we've loved our time in Lincolnville with Steve and Nancy. We've walked four dogs, sailed boats, motored an ex-lobster boat across the bay, eaten amazing gourmet meals and generally lounged like Emmy Lou, above.

She's eye-balling me now like she can tell I typed her name, so I guess that means we'll be off for a walk shortly. I think we're going to try to stop by the Windsor Chair Company which is just around the corner. I hear the shop's for sale if anyone out there is looking to build some furniture...

4 comments:

sarah b. said...

awww... Emmy Lou. What a sweet angel.

NicoledeB said...

Can't wait to catch up by phone sometime soon. My hours have been CWAZEE this week. xoxox Nic

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're all comfy and well-fed. I'm sure it's getting harder and harder to hit the road. Any specific plans upon return to Michigan? We will be hitting the road Sun. once I'm done at work for our little cabin on the lake for almost a week of languishing with good books to read, a few plans to see some friends, as well as some day jaunts here and there. I am really looking forward to it. Stay well!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic adventure so far. I have a lot of reading to catch up on here! Stay happy and safe!

-- Bob