Sunday, June 1, 2008

too much stuff

Packing wouldn't suck nearly as much if we didn't have stuff.

While the hobo-pie-makers and the futon have given us no problems, plenty of other stuff has. Tools, clothes, books, a laptop and a washer have been the biggest offenders. What emergency will we be unprepared for now that our tools are down to one box? I never thought I had many clothes until I tried to get them into one box. Is one box enough for a whole summer of books? How will I ever survive using Tim's laptop instead of my own, with all my widgets, iTunes for my pod and my bookmarks? And right now I'd rather wash my clothes in a creek rather than move this stupid washer.

All this is to say: I thought we had a minimalist life until we started packing to live in a minivan. I also never realized how much I really loved some of my stuff until I started packing it to be out of my reach for a long period of time. Count these off as trip realizations # 1 and 2.

Back to packing the stupid washer. We shove off tomorrow. I can't wait! Not only will our trip have begun, it means no more packing.

5 comments:

Tony Petty said...

Don't worry, once you're packed, all will be well... that is, until you have to use something and you can't remember which box it is in, so you have to search through fifty just to find it, and then re-pack all of those boxes again! ;-)

NicoledeB said...

Ugh, washing machines. So big and bulky, yet seemingly so important. Good luck as you continue to slough the unimportant details. I'm crazy excited for your new start tomorrow.

Jason Elkins said...

I love you guys. I'm really excited for you to figure out "packing origami."

Hey, check out Netvibes.com...You can have your own widgets, and add all of your bookmarks there, so anytime you log on, you will have all of YOUR stuff. I love it.

Have fun fun fun. Keep us posted! Hug each other, and remember to stretch!

Jason

Anonymous said...

Have you considered just using laundrymats instead of bringing a washing machine? When Elizabeth and I have gone on vacations that is how we usually do it.

Stephanie said...

We're not bringing the washing machine...we're packing it to store in our friend's basement.