Sunday, July 20, 2008

Moonlighting in Denver

Ah, Denver. We have had an amazing time here hanging out with Sheralee (and kitty Mia) and Maria. Sheralee and Maria are Burt's friends, who became Tim's friends, and who I'd now like to consider my friends. I think I've now joined the "incestuous group of people" or as another Grand Rapids friend would say, it's also known as a circle of friends. (Haha, look at the shout-outs!)

We've basically done nothing here except play Catchphrase and lay around. It's been so wonderful to do nothing. No driving, no sightseeing, just hanging. I feel rejuvenated and completely relaxed except for my ass.

And that's a good story.

Some of Sheralee and Maria's friends are a crew named Jim, Stuart, and Charlie (the unicorn!). At a barbecue last night, Jim mentioned that they were going to ride the Moonlight Classic. It's a Denver bike ride to support charity, and you can ride either 8 or 15 miles through the city with 5,000 other bikers at midnight. We of course really wanted to participate.

Because all of the people around Maria and Sheralee are awesome as well, we ended up with all the gear we needed: bikes, helmets, water bottles. A woman named Jen who I'd met only that night lent me her ultrasweet ulatralight ultrafast Bianchi bike with the original Bianchi colors. Then Jim and Stuart and Charlie happily allowed us to crash their bike party and invited us to ride with them underneath the full moon and through the warm Denver night. Passerby slapped our hands as we rode by and cheered. I felt like such a rockstar, and I didn't even have a costume.

I think more than the laying around, I feel rejuvenated because of the outpouring of generosity, sharing, love, and encouragement that all of these old and new Denverites have showed us. We've been sheltered, showered, fed, and been gone out of many people's way for. We're ready for the long ride to Nashville, where I think we'll probably experience more of the same. It really feels sometimes like we have the best people in the world in our lives.

Much love to you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Incetuous group of people"? There must be something I don't know. I have loved reading the blog. I am jealous you guys have had time with Sheralee and Maria, I miss them, too. Miss you guys, but love hearing about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

People are indeed wonderful. I am so glad you've had a chance to relax and re-group. The sore rump, after all was for a good cause. Aunt sister is sending snail mail to the gen. del. address you sent her. She loved your letter and was so bumbed missing your call. I love ya heaps. Stay well and keep the info coming.

Maria said...

i loved having you here. it was so great to have good conversation with you guys and not feel any pressure to show you everything about denver. i'm glad to call you my friend now too :)